Keymaster
    #13890 |

What kind of equipment are you using? Compressors, blasting machines, nozzles, add-ons, modifications? Share photos, if you can…

Participant
    #13922 |

Setup as of April 2016:

– GeoBlaster GB400SA
    – 1995 Sullair 185 CFM Compressor
    – 100 Gallon Water Tank
    – 1994 Stewart & Stevenson M1078

Barrier Islands Blasting Setup

Participant
    #14278 |

GB 600, Kaeser M100 Compressor on a 14′ custom tag.

BTW Coal that is an awesome setup!

David

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Avatar David.
    Participant
    #14413 |

Hi guys, Im looking into buying a blasting set up. I would be using it mainly to remove bottom paint from fishing vessels in Alaska. I think I’ve narrowed my search down to the Geo Blaster and EcoQuip. I’m curious if people have any comments on either of them for this application. Water consumption rate between the two and blasting material are my main concern. Shipping costs are fairly expensive for us here…
    Thanks,

Taylor

Participant
    #14453 |

Hi Taylor,

Both machines are are topnotch. I can’t speak as to removing bottom paint from fishing boats (assuming they are steel hull), I will tell you that my GB 600 with a M100 Kaeser Compressor removed approximately 10 layers of epoxy paint that had been baked by the sun for nearly 50 years on a concrete surface.

I also blasted a M60A3 military tank (cosmetic resto) that had many layers of paint and rust. We had about 14 hours of blasting total and used approximately 800 pounds of 80 mesh garnet at 80 psi on the tank project.

I run my machine with the water dose off and the abrasive dose about 1/8 to 1/4 from zero. I’m guessing water consumption is around 1/2 quart to 1 quart per minute.

Give Graco a call. They have great tech support and will answer questions you have about the type of blasting you are looking to do.

Hope this helps

David

Southern Eco-Blasting LLC

Participant
      #14454 |

Hello David,

Thank you for the response, blasting a military tank sounds like a fun project. What do you do with the 800 pounds of media when you are finished?

I’m looking for peoples personal experiences with the machine rather than completely relying on the company.

What is your main business with the blaster?

Thanks again

Participant
      #14464 |

I lay down a barrier on the ground that catches the the abrasive. The material removed along with the abrasive is pulverized so cleanup is not bad. I just wrap of the barrier with material and dispose of it per local code.

I do a lot of work for auto restoration shops and home car hobbyist and a do all the blasting for a gentleman that does military vehicles resto’s (jeeps, halftracks, tanks)

I also clean old monuments, and work with funeral homes when they have requests from families that need have stones and slabs cleaned at cemeteries.

Lots of other stuff you can do with the machine. Not sure if anyone else does vapor abrasive blasting in your area but right now I’m the only one doing this type of blasting so I stay booked.

I started the business after I retired as just a part time gig, myself and a young man that works with me stay busy.

David

Participant
    #14455 |

Hi Coal,

Wow, that’s a great set up! I see that you are in a boat yard in the picture, have you had much experience blasting fiberglass hulls? How well are you able to stay away from damaging the gel coat? Lastly, how do you dispose of the anti fouling paint media mix?
    Thanks,

Taylor

Participant
    #14465 |

David,
    Interesting to me is the business you do with grave stones. What media and pressure do you use when blasting stone ? I worry that you would not want to etch a polished granite slab and dull the finish.
    Ron

Participant
      #14471 |

Hey Ron,

So far the granite we have worked on is non polished. Many are from the late 1800’s to around 1930. I use a 70/40 crushed recycled glass at 20 psi at about 24″ of standoff. It does a really great job at cleaning and brightening the granite and works quickly.

David

Participant
    #14472 |

Hello David,
    do you have any before and after pics of the stones you can share ?
    Ron

Participant
    #14473 |

Hey Ron,

You can check out Southern Eco-Blasting on Facebook. You will find some before and after pic’s of stone work. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail/phone me.

David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.